About Me

My photo
I am Salty The Beast. I am what you might call a Renaissance man, meaning I find interest in most every medium. I love watching movies, listening to music, writing music, playing video games, making videos, etc.

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Congratulations, James Cameron







A few weeks ago, it was recorded that James Cameron’s “Avatar” was the number one highest grossing movie of all-time worldwide. The record was previously held by James Cameron’s last movie, the 1997 hit “Titanic,” which grossed approximately $1.85 billion around the world. “Avatar” has been in the works basically from the time “Titanic” was said and done until just recently.

I can easily assume that most of that time was spent developing technology to create the dazzling visuals present on the planet of Pandora. The CGI environment is arranged to perfection and then some. While in the theater, there were numerous occasions where I entirely lost my connection with reality and became immersed in the film. The detailed features of the Na’vi also translate spectacularly onscreen. I’ve heard film critics compare this experience to the first time that they witnessed the first “Star Wars” in 1977, and I can totally see why. Just like “Star Wars” before it, “Avatar” is a groundbreaking sci-fi epic that will most likely have a long-lasting life on DVD and Blu-Ray as well as other possibly great things in store for it in the future.

Let’s start with right now: on February 2nd, 2010, “Avatar” surpassed “Titanic” not only worldwide but specifically in the United States box-office. This feat is made even more impressive considering that the movie had no previously established concept behind it. For example, I can understand why “Spider Man”, “Batman”, “Transformers”, etc., make so much money: because these concepts are so familiar to the general movie-going public. “Avatar” is out there in it’s own right.

And holy shnikes, it is still remaining at the number one spot on the weekend box office seven weeks after it was first released! The achievements are relentless.

Now I want to talk directly about James Cameron, the man who directed the current #1 and #2 movies of all time. I just can’t get it through my head why people have such a problem with the fact that this is a James Cameron movie. I mean, the guy to date has not made a bad movie (okay, “Piranha II: The Spawning,” but that’s only one). As for those of you who are boycotting the movie because you personally don’t like James Cameron, you really should put that aside for a moment. I always say to separate the artist entirely from the work. If you haven’t seen the movie yet, you should really give it a try to see where you stand. At the very least, you will think it’s a good special effects movie.

But the movie is really more than just a throwaway big-budget blockbuster. Even though I wasn’t as blown away by it as other people I know, I still think that it is one of the best films of 2009. The story, while in all honestly has been used several times before, is told in such an imaginative and inventive perspective that you’ve really got to admire. Whether the movie was made for $300 million or more (I don’t think anyone will ever know), I think every person behind this movie deserves every penny that they receive. It’s only fair for the massive amount of enjoyment that they gave me as well as millions of others.

So congratulations to James Cameron and everyone else for taking over the box-office, the U.S., and the world for that matter. I couldn’t have picked a more deserving movie for this quality of success. Here’s to even more success and more great movies down the road.

No comments: