About Me

My photo
I am Salty The Beast. I am what you might call a Renaissance man, meaning I find interest in most every medium. I love watching movies, listening to music, writing music, playing video games, making videos, etc.

Sunday, September 19, 2010

BRÜTAL SØNG OF THE WEEK: September 19th, 2010

Captain's Log. Sunday, September 19th, 2010. All two people reading this await a Brütal Søng of the Week. I am here to declare that it is "Dead Memories" by Slipknot from their album All Hope Is Gone.


Early Slipknot and more recent Slipknot are hardly at all related to one another anymore. They are almost two different bands. Everything released now sounds much more tangible and concrete when compared to the blinding insanity of their debut album. One of the best examples of the new Slipknot sound is "Dead Memories," which is a bittersweet heavy metal track. Borrowing a few traces from Black Album-era Metallica, the song revolves around a simple, semi-clean/semi-distorted guitar riff and is forced by the pounding rhythm of the band's three percussionists. Corey Taylor also pulls off some impressive clean vocal skills and brings life to the well-written lyrics. The highlight of the song for me is the shocker of a middle section: a very clean two guitar harmony accompanied by an occasional piano chord. "Dead Memories" is one of the best songs from All Hope Is Gone, certainly one of the group's more heartfelt numbers and, incidentally, gets my stamp of abrütal...get it? It's a play on the word 'approval?' Ah, forget you.

Subscribe to my blog for more of my wacky antics (wantics?) and tune in every Sunday for a new Brütal Song. Thank you, come again.

-STB

No comments: