About Me

My photo
I am Salty The Beast. I am what you might call a Renaissance man, meaning I find interest in most every medium. I love watching movies, listening to music, writing music, playing video games, making videos, etc.

Sunday, September 26, 2010

BRÜTAL SØNG OF THE WEEK: September 26th, 2010

Wow. Least productive week of blogging ever, huh? I haven’t posted a single thing since the last Brütal Søng post and consequently I am pretty backed up at the moment. But thank goodness I can sleep at night knowing I am consistent in posting the most brütal feature on my blog. This week, my Brütal Søng is “Bullet With Butterfly Wings” by Smashing Pumpkins from their double album Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness.

Say what you will, but I freaking love the Smashing Pumpkins. I probably rank Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness among my favorite albums of all time. I just love the numerous genres and styles that the band explores and damn near perfects, from electronica to lounge-style jazz. But one of the most straight-forward and plain badass songs is actually one of the band’s most popular singles to date, and that is “Bullet With Butterfly Wings.” There is something about the guitar’s distortion in all Pumpkins songs that is extraordinarily distinctive; no other guitarist has emulated anything quite like this. If the subtly building verses do not hook you, then the insanely heavy chorus and the immortal lyric (“Despite all my rage, I am still just a rat in a cage”) definitely will. The dynamic power of the verses and chorus work very effectively and the lyrics are appropriately clever and artsy. While certainly not the best song off of its respective album, it is a more-than-welcome addition and is most certainly a Brütal Søng on all fronts.

Here’s hoping that next week I can get my act together. Stay tuned for more unbridled brütality.

-STB

No comments: