About Me

My photo
I am Salty The Beast. I am what you might call a Renaissance man, meaning I find interest in most every medium. I love watching movies, listening to music, writing music, playing video games, making videos, etc.

Sunday, September 5, 2010

BRÜTAL SØNG OF THE WEEK: "You Won't Know" by Brand New

For this week (September 5th through 11th), my Søng of epic Brütality is “You Won’t Know” by Brand New.


Brand New is quickly becoming one of my favorite alternative rock bands of all time and this song, second only to “Sic Transit Gloria,” is the one that really got me into them. The clean opening riff is haunting and chilling, but the lead guitar also adds a smooth and harmonious touch and Jesse Lacey’s vocal style accentuates the bleak vibe being carried out. The song switches gears quickly and spontaneously, becoming a true alternative rock song. Throughout the two verses, Jesse Lacey shows off his powerful and emotional vocals in their full form. The rest of the band might not be doing the most show-offy stuff, but they definitely keep the song going at a slick pace. There is a poignant interlude following the two verses and the song switches once again back to its original style. That is just what Brand New is: an original style. They show the most experimental and diverse musical chops of any other act in their genre. Which is why I consider “You Won’t Know” Brütal.

Hey, don’t fret. There shall be another Brütal Søng of the Week next Sunday. Could be good, could be bad. I just don’t know, but until then…leave me alone.

-STB

No comments: