About Me

My photo
I am Salty The Beast. I am what you might call a Renaissance man, meaning I find interest in most every medium. I love watching movies, listening to music, writing music, playing video games, making videos, etc.

Saturday, October 16, 2010

MOVIE REVIEW: Jackass 3D


With my reviews of both film and music, I pride myself for both my tact and professionalism when it comes to critiquing the works. By outlining my thoughts, my problems and my compliments toward films, I always come up with an honest answer for what I think is or is not worth your time and/or money.

Ah, screw it. Let’s get right to “Jackass 3D”.

That’s right! The cast of the wildly subversive series (both film and TV) “Jackass” returns to unveil the third part of the trilogy in eye-poppin’ 3D. The previous films in the series were gross, tasteless feature-length shockumentaries recording the various acts of self-mutilation and torture that these guys put themselves through for our own entertainment. As most of us know, people love to watch failure and suffering when their not on the receiving end of the deal. “Jackass” has made this principle an art form for ten years now. All I can say is that they are lucky to still be alive.

I consider both “Jackass: The Movie” and “Jackass Number Two” to be some of the most eminently enjoyable guilty pleasures of all-time. In a way, I admire the amount of blood, sweat and vomit that goes into creating one elaborately kooky stunt after another. And of course, it is good to see that they do not take themselves too seriously. Their number one priority is to engage others and extract as many laughs as possible in the process. The gleeful daredevils providing this 90+-minute compilation of stunts, pranks and uncensored tomfoolery are leader Johnny Knoxville, skateboarder Bam Margera, Steve-O, Jason Acuña (more commonly known as “Wee Man”), Ryan Dunn, Chris Pontius, Ehren McGhehey, Preston Lacy and Dave England, along with a few celebrity appearances sprinkled throughout. BMX star Mat Hoffman and comedian Rip Taylor might as well be considered part of the cast due to their recurrent participation.

Certainly I will not spoil any of the movie’s surprises, because I do advise you find out for yourself. I will, however, drop certain ambiguous keywords to whet appetites and put a smile on the faces of people who have seen the movie and know what I am talking about. Here we go: Tether ball. Super Mighty Glue. A gorilla. Bungee cord. Party blowers. Sweatsuit. Trumpets. Toy helicopter. Rocky sequels. Pot of gold. Jet engine propulsion. That will be all.

As you may come to expect, everything found in here is the lowest of brow. But as crude, vulgar and ridiculous as the film is, that is just what Knoxville and company are going for. They want to make you wince, gag and turn away in addition to laugh. This is solely an experience movie and made to be enjoyed by a large, eager audience that is ready to have a great time. “Jackass” is critic-proof. It does not matter whether or not reception is generally good or generally bad, there is a built-in audience that likes this kind of stuff. By this point, you know whether or not this is for you.

I do find this third installment mildly underwhelming considering how much “Number Two” improved (basically perfected) upon the shock-and-awe value of the first. This one never really tops the second in terms of gross-out, inspiration or entertainment merit. However, “Jackass 3D” had me laughing hard throughout and makes unpredictably proficient use of the third dimension. It may only be the second best movie this year with the word ‘ass’ in the title , but that is not so bad.

Note: Be on the lookout for two early cameo appearances right at the beginning of the movie. They are also part of the bad-taste-guilty-pleasure variety. Add some Twisted Sister as the opening title music and the film immediately had me sold.

VERDICT:
«««

No comments: