About Me

My photo
I am Salty The Beast. I am what you might call a Renaissance man, meaning I find interest in most every medium. I love watching movies, listening to music, writing music, playing video games, making videos, etc.

Monday, June 25, 2012

BRÜTAL SØNG OF THE WEEK: June 25th, 2012


Brütal Søng: “Black Sunshine”
Artist: White Zombie
Album: La Sexorcisto: Devil Music, Vol. 1


If there’s anything your humble narrator appreciates more than anything, it’s a heavy metal song with a solid groove. I don’t even know why; I don’t typically dance, and usually when I do, I look like a damn fool (and I wouldn’t have it any other way, thank you very much). Something about syncopation just sounds sexy to my sensitive ears. Groove metal is just flat out infectious. Send me a groove metal song on my birthday, and there’s a distinct possibility you’ll become my best friend for life.

The average person may point to AC/DC’s “Back In Black” as their reference point in this genre, while those settled in the more extreme neighborhood (the one with pitbulls looming in the front yard of every house) could also use almost anything by Pantera or Lamb Of God as a viable example. However, if you want your groove metal the way I like it, in all of its pure, unadulterated excellence, there’s no need to look any further than White Zombie’s third album, La Sexorcisto. What’s that, you say? The album title sounds like an exploitation film from someone like Russ Meyer or Herschell Gordon Lewis? It may shock you (or not), but that’s exactly what the band was aiming for with such a title.

White Zombie (fronted by Rob Zombie, who has since gone on to direct modern day exploitation-esque horror films himself) has never sounded better than on their 1992 album. Astro-Creep 2000, their 1995 follow-up release? It’s alright, but maybe a little too much on the industrial/electronic-based side for my taste. Soul-Crusher and Make Them Die Slowly? Lousy sound quality (not to mention they’re incredibly hard to find). Supersexy Swingin’ Sounds? Appropriately scandalous artwork notwithstanding, screw that album! Sexorcisto is where it’s at PLUS the two turntables and the microphone.

“Thunder Kiss ‘65” is without a doubt the most popular slice from the album, which is acceptable because it’s also the most genre-accessible of the bunch. But if you ask me, “Black Sunshine” is even better, and is a LOT less conventional than “Thunder Kiss.” As YouTube’s top comment for “Black Sunshine’s” music video will tell you, “[It] makes [m]e want to get drunk and drive off a cliff straight to hell.” Yup, that sums up everything. Despite the surprisingly upbeat tempo, the song makes you want to go evil. It urges you to crank your speakers and drive at 120 mph like you’re Nicolas Cage in the movie “Drive Angry.” There’s all sorts of cool twists and surprises in the song’s presentation, my favorite one being the “Slide into, I said ‘44’” part (still can’t comprehend the lyrics no matter how hard I try). And Iggy Pop’s spoken word narrations remind me of Snake from “The Simpsons.”


And to pierce your night tonight, here’s the single greatest “drunk story” ever told…


- STB

No comments: